duminică, 4 noiembrie 2007

FEMA..what's FEMA?

Howdy! It's funny, but I usually have a hard time staying awake in most classes except for Health Comm and I think it's because

I appreciate everyone's honesty regarding the guest speaker. I temporarily felt like a jack a$$ not knowing about the FEMA shenanigan. Here's my (perhaps small-minded) view on her comment that we should know everything about everything at every moment in the news--I don't agree. While in Moldova for 2.5 years, I was for the most part cut off from American media except for the Newsweek magazines Peace Corps admin occasionally sent to us at our villages. At first it was hard not knowing what was happening in the world, but then I realized that things keep happening, the world keeps turning regardless if I have heard about it or not-amazing! It was apathetically peaceful for a time to not be bombarded with the latest news, deemed "important" by someone else. This may seem like a horrible attitude to some of you (sorry Dr. E) but while it's good to be informed and up to date, there's something to be said for stepping back and reconnecting with the world in other ways.

Although I procure the newspaper, I don't have time everyday to read it. Luckily it doesn't go to waste as my roommates also snag sections through which to glance. Do I feel bad? Not really--there is only so much time in the day. I have learned that, for me, it makes more sense to pick and choose. I seek out information which I find personally relevant and really dive in as opposed to skimming the surface on every single topic (about many of which I do not care.) I don't like business and (although important) I really can't stand politics. I choose to inform myself about issues in which I can have an impact in my field as well as reading the funnies.

Well, anyway, let me hop down from my soap box. Food stamps--great job! I just might look in to signing up until I get out out of grad school and get a real job that pays more than my rent. I like the idea of directly addressing stigmas and stereotypes--I think that's the best way to make changes!

Niciun comentariu: