vineri, 19 octombrie 2007

AFLAC!!!

Happy Friday morning! Congrats to those who survived midterms and good luck to those who still have a few to go!

It feels good to have the first mini-project done--although we still need to nail down our segments. We have a function this weekend and hopefully we will have access to our target audience folks.

It was interesting to hear about everyone else's projects. I am still thinking about the immunization group and wondering what is "right"....filling a quota for a mass vaccination drill or ensuring that people are vaccinated against the flu. I realize the point of their campaign is not to advertise for Student Health Services, but to me it seems a bit off to tell students (who are already on campus) that they should go somewhere else to get the flu shot. I recognize the importance of the goal of the mass vaccination trial, but still, I am furrowing my brow at the cognitive dissonance created with in me because I am a huge proponent of SHS.

Anyway, thinking of fear and funny....I don't know about you guys...but I can start a giggle session just thinking about the Aflac commercials with the duck! I don't need insurance, but out of all the companies out there, Aflac is on the forefront of my mind simply because of a funny duck (and that goat!) I must have seen the ads about 17 times during an NFL Sunday night game.

Another campaign that has stuck with me is the childhood obesity one where the kids are asking for "more diabetes, please" and "a shorter life" etc. It's humorous and sickening at the same time. I wonder what Americans outside of the realm of Public Health think about that campaign....

Reference point---I know it's our job to motivate behavior change, but it seems a bit sneaky to think of ways to frame things in order to achieve our communication goal. I know, I know, I know...this is the entire point of this class--to put them in the middle, wrong reason. etc, but it kind of got to me when we were talking about "saving 200" versus "killing 400." Maybe it's the fact that I felt stupid when Dr. E came up with the "save $10" example--that is exactly how I think. Or maybe it's the fact that Nebraska lost at home to Oklahoma State last week or that it has already snowed in Salt Lake City and I'm stuck in Pleasantville...Who knows...just glad it's Friday!

Niciun comentariu: