duminică, 25 noiembrie 2007

Ahhh...Saved By The Bell....Good Times!

Howdy all! Because I don't watch much TV (except for the weather channel and ESPN) I realize I am missing out on a plethora of subtle (and not-so-subtle) health communication messages. However, I did learn something about concussions while watching the Hawaii-Boise State game. I learned that it's probably a good idea to not play the quarterback who got a concussion a week earlier---the effects of getting hit again post-concussion greatly diminish in seriousness after 10 days-2 weeks. Good stuff...
And, yes, Jennie, I do remember Jessie's over-acting after popping some prescription no-doze. It made me start thinking how a modern day teeny-bopper show could promote the dangers of over-caffination. But, with our luck as health promoters, companies like Red Bull and Rockstar probably are sponsors of such shows...
As for the anti-binge drinking video, I kind of felt like I was back in 8th grade in a class called "Positive Lifestyles." It was a good class, and like the video, it portrayed the dangers and downsides of drugs, alcohol, unprotected sex, etc. But I am of the opinion, that when it comes down to doing a certain behavior (or abstaining from one) the fact that I watched a video probably won't sway my decision. I know that sounds pessimistic, but I believe we live in a culture of instant gratification which is why our job as health edutainers is quite challenging and thus necessitates us to be uber-creative in our mode and medium of health campaign delivery.

Niciun comentariu: