joi, 27 septembrie 2007

I really don't like sushi

Returning to the topic of personal relevance...the marketing video really made my head sort of spin in the way that people research their target audience---for something (I perceive) as unimportant as motorcycles. Ok, ok, I know there are many Harley Davidson owners who might perhaps disagree a smidge with me. I was talking to my friends after class and brought up the fact that I had NO idea there was an entire separate profession for psychologists in marketing. I wonder if anyone who is first beginning to study psychology thinks about this type of job. But now that I have been exposed to this aspect of marketing...I can imagine this kind of work going in to almost any product (Spam anyone?)
I really enjoyed the segmentation activity--well, both the actual exercise and the chance to get outside and move around. I don't think I've gone outside for class since my German professor used to lecture outside at undergrad. Why don't more teachers do this? I get sleepy if I sit for too long...something to keep in mind if I ever conduct a focus group.
Ok, because I lived in this part of the world for 2.5 years, I found this particularly interesting. A mom in Siberia gave birth to her 12th child at a paltry 17 lbs! Here's the link to the story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20995289/wid/11915773?GT1=10412. Don't worry about the blue stuff-it's called zilionka and it's used sort of like our Neosporin-type topical ointments. I had many a student come in with blue stuff on hands, faces, legs...they even put it on broken bones--good times.